Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 223 - The magic of careful framing

Ahh, the magic of photography. I have shown this photograph to several long-time Fredericton residents and all of have responded with some form of the following: "Oh, isn't that pretty! Where is it?"

Just the response I was hoping for. The image is of an alleyway that leads from King Street to Dolan's Pub in what is, at night at least, one of the ugliest places in the city. Dolan's and other nearby bars cater to the university crowd. Most weekend nights, the neighbourhood turns into one drunken party, littered with broken bottles and bar fights.

By using the lines of trees that bracket the walkway to block out the large, litter-strewn parking lot on the right and the less attractive shops to the left, I was able to create a scene that might just attract tourists for a friendly, afternoon stroll. As I said, you can do some real magic with a camera: I even fooled some locals who couldn't tell where I took this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment