Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 233 - Harnessing Fredericton's history

The RCMP's Musical Ride also gave me the chance to take this nice little photograph of one of Fredericton's signature scenes, with beautiful horses and brightly uniformed police to boot. Fredericton has a long history of harness racing and the Fredericton Raceway, located at the Exhibition complex on Smythe Street, is the centre of horse-racing activity.

I quite like this shot, even if I had to crop the top and bottom severely to get rid of a lot of excess grass and sky. There's something charming about the combination of the bright and lively RCMP troupe and the battered, faded sign for the local course. The lighting was a bit of a challenge but I was able to open up the aperture a bit since the two main focal points were so close together. That gave me some room to play to make sure the horses-and-riders were well lit without bleaching out the sign in behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment