Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 239 - Photographing frustration

I chose this photograph for today's blog entry for two reasons: 1) I like it; and 2) it sums up for me the experience of trying to photograph Fredericton and its beauty.

I like it because I think it has nice balance and composition, with the layers of the foreground, river and background creating an interesting effect. I'm pleased with how the tree to the right serves to connect the land at top and bottom, bridging the river, and with how the port-a-pottie blends with the massive black sewer tubes in the foreground.

On the other hand, it is an image of frustration. Here we have a wonderful view: a gorgeous church in the distance, a lovely sky, a flowing river and beautifully shaped trees both near and far. And it's ruined by the manmade chaos in the foreground.

My experience of attempting to capture Fredericton's beauty is captured in this photograph. Lovely buildings, beautiful landscapes, impressive natural wonders, and yet in almost every situation someone has done something to mar the loveliness. Usually, it's hydro wires that get in the way. Less often, it's construction of this kind. But there's always something.

So, on this occasion, instead of allowing myself to seethe with frustration at yet another fantastic shot ruined, I decided to make my frustration the subject of the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment