Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10 - A Fredericton Funny

Read's/Reid's is a bookstore/cafe in downtown Fredericton. I'm not sure if the conflicting signs are a mistake or a Fredericton funny, a joke aimed at all of us who live in the capital of New Brunswick. I sometimes wonder if the Reids own it and the goal of the store itself is to make sure that everyone in the city Reads.

One of the things I like about photography is the many ways you can make a shot interesting: through composition, colour, texture, lighting or, as in this case, simply the content of the photograph. I don't see this one as a work of art by any means but I like the way the very simple composition captures the conflict between the signs. I also quite like the tree branches in the top left corner.

I'm still finding having to choose one photo per day very hard. But my brother-in-law insists that I do. No more two- or three-shot days, he tells me. Okay. We'll keep it to one.

1 comment:

  1. When I first read this entry on Reid's/Reads, I found it difficult to read the letters underneath the Read's on the door (though I easily enough read the red maple leaf as an apostrophe). In terms of reading and legibility, however, what I find intriguing is the ELEVATOR written on the wall inside the door, hardly legible at all, yet I'm sure that that is what is written there. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete