Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6 - In Memoriam

On another snowy, cold day I used my lunch hour to visit a Loyalist graveyard in the heart of downtown Fredericton. I like graveyards: I find them visually interesting and quite peaceful. In this case, the cemetery is a major walking throughfare for Frederictonians but I kind of like that.

I came away disappointed with the pictures I took but, in contrast to yesterday, I was actually pleased with what I found when I reviewed my photos on the computer. In fact, it turned into a fairly difficult choice and, again, I succumbed to the lure of publishing two, rather than making the final decision.

The first picture shows a tall grave marker, taken with a tree trunk blurred in the background. I like the similarities and contrasts in their shapes and colours and, when I first saw this photo, I was quite struck by it.

The second is much simpler but equally striking, I think. A tiny stone marker, almost buried in the snow. The marker has been worn by time such that the inscription is no longer visible and the snow, which almost swallows up the stone itself, adds to the feeling that a soul has been forgotten, left behind by the passage of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment