Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8 - A Close Call

Well, the fire is now out, the fire department has left and the pot of formerly burning canola oil is buried in a heap of snow until tomorrow.

So much for my attempt to make Oliebollen, the traditional Dutch new-year's treat. Too bad, too, since they actually looked great before the fire.

Sometimes life just hands you a photograph, I guess. It's not art but it's life. And thank goodness it is life because, from the way the fire was raging for a while there, it could have been something much worse. And, of course, I find out only after I carried the burning pot out into the yard to get it out of the house that carrying it is precisely what you should not do. As one website said, that's how most people find themselves engulfed in flames.

But, we're all alive and well and unburnt. We're short one pot but, other than that, no damage. Special thanks go to the Fredericton Fire Department and our friend Patty, who hurried over with a working extinguisher when we found out, to our horror, that the brand new extinguisher we had standing ready was empty.

1 comment:

  1. You were making Oliebollen and didn't invite me???? I guess it's okay, since I made Oliebollen on New Year's Eve and didn't invite you.......

    I'm always worried about fire and cook them with a big box of baking soda (already open) beside the stove. I will use this photo to show the girls why I can't leave the stove even for a second while I'm cooking them.

    ReplyDelete