Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 126 - Early Morning Scene

The St. John River is at flood levels and, despite the misery it may cause for many people, it's the perfect time for some dramatic photographs.

I woke up early this morning and went for a drive along the river toward Mactaquac and its dam. This shot, taken at about 7 a.m. from the jogging path along the St. John (looking east), captures the sun on the rise, its reflection in the still waters of the swollen river and the dark silhouettes of the swamped trees that used to dot the shoreline.

This was a planned excursion, so I brought my tripod and the Olympus, allowing me to make careful use of the manual settings on the camera. Here, I went for depth of focus rather than a faster shutter speed and stayed pretty faithful to the light meter's reading. That last step made sure the sunlight didn't bleed the picture out too badly and the trees remained dark and solemn.

No comments:

Post a Comment