Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 136 - The Hour

These two photographs, taken less than an hour apart, show how different the colours of a landscape look as night falls. In this case, we visited a friend who currently lives on the top floor of McLeod House Residence at UNB for the evening and he was kind enough to allow me to bring the Olympus and my tripod to try a few shots.

On yet another rainy night, I had to battle the tendency of the camera's autofocus to read the raindrops on the window rather than the scene beyond.

It was frustrating at first but, when I looked at the photos later on the computer, I was pleasantly surprised by how the rain-drop shots turned out. More on that tomorrow.

Even with the rain and the cloudy skies, I was pleased with the results of my landscape experiment. Both of these shots show similar views, with the buildings in front and the St. John River and its walking bridge further off in the distance.

I was interested to see how very different the colours of these two shots were. The first was taken at about 8:15 p.m. and shows the tower (belonging to a building at St. Thomas University) in the blue light of late afternoon. The second, taken about 45 minutes later, shows the fall of night, with the lights of the tower and the city beyond showing through. Both were taken with long exposures and as narrow an aperture as possible under the circumstances. And both bear a neat mottled texture created by the rain-drops on the window just in front of the camera's lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment