Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 150 - Fish tales (or is that a serpent?)

I love this photo. There's so much going on, so much colour, and the little guy in the middle of the fountain seems to be battling his brains out to subdue the spitting beast.

The first truly brilliant, warm spring day here in Fredericton brought bright sunlight, dozens of noon-hour walkers and the return of the City Hall's weird and wonderful fountain. My goal in this case was to push the Olympus as far as I could to get a freeze-frame shot of the water drops. For a moment, the camera allowed me a shutter speed of 1/2000th of a second (at least I think that's what I saw on the little screen) and the photos at that speed are pretty amazing.

But this one, taken at 1/1000th, was by far the most interesting. I love the spout of water from the lower fountain on the left, the deep hues of the green bowl, the golden dude and the red brick in the background, and the thin jets of drops coming from the... is that a fish? or a serpent?

1 comment: