Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 127 - Flood Waters

My trip today to the Mactaquac Dam to photograph the flood waters of the St. John River pouring through the dam's chutes proved to be a real test of the Olympus' capabilities.

Too bad it failed miserably.

I took exactly 300 pictures on my trip to the Mactaquac Dam with a hope of capturing the tumult of the crashing water as it navigated the chutes and found the lower half of the river. I brought the tripod, I gave myself plenty of time and I ventured as close to the Niagara-like falls as I could (I got about five feet away, to be honest) so you would think just about every shot would turn out.

I had to delete almost 100 of them for focus issues. Another 40 or so were boring because the delay between my depressing the shutter release and the shutter actually releasing meant I missed the big sprays of water.

Don't get me wrong: I got some really great shots. Like this one, taken from very close, with the shutter speed as fast as it could go and a strong sun behind the spray. I think it looks great.

But I am very frustrated by the clear limitations of the camera. The shutter delay means I miss too many shots and have to anticipate when something interesting is going to happen in order to press the release well in advance of the action. The focus issues are worse. The autofocus simply cannot adjust to moving subjects, like rushing water. I got this shot by placing the solid wall of the chute in the frame. This allowed the autofocus to find it and, with luck, get the spraying water in focus as well. I took numerous shots of the roiling water from much closer in but not one of them came out with sharp focus.

Patti says there must be a way to focus the Olympus manually but, if there is one, I can't find it. Arggghhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment