Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 129 - Driftwood Art

Sometimes, great photos just present themselves to you. On my recent visit to Mactaquac to check out the flood waters, I spent some time on the shore of the basin below the dam. It's packed with stones and drift wood, making for all kinds of interesting shots.

In this one, the gnarled roots and branches of a long-fallen tree create the image of some kind of petrified monster, long dead, its body hurled up on shore. I tried all kinds of different framing effects for the shot and played with the depth of focus but I ended up choosing this one: a fairly traditional frame (with the trunk dead centre) and a medium-range depth of field so that the background is not completely blurred but not sharp either.

I love the dramatic light caused by the still rising sun coming in from the right of the frame and I think the driftwood has a character all of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment