Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 147 - Yes, another musty church

Sorry, sis, another musty church. Fredericton is known for its many places of worship and the downtown core, in particular, is dotted with them.

I forgot to get the name of the edifice that provided me with this interesting photo opportunity but it's on York Street, I believe, just south of King.

This is the kind of detail shot that Michael Freeman mentions in his book and that Fredericton, because of its often ill-placed wires, poles and other interfering structures, often forces a photographer to settle for, rather than the wider angle, postcard shots we all love.

The trick is to make the detail shot work with, as in this case, interesting patterns, attractive textures and pretty mixes of colour. I saw this set of windows, with their neat stone frames, set against the geometric patterns on the greater wall and I though it would work out well. And I think it does.

1 comment:

  1. Must be a lot of sinners in Fredericton, judging by the amount of churches that you have photographed there!

    ReplyDelete