Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 148 - The bell tower and the Chapel of Ease

More details, more churches. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, Christ Church (Parish) Church, St. Anne's Chapel of Ease, is a lovely, though strangely named, building located west of the downtown core of Fredericton. I think of it as a kind of hidden gem since it's bell tower is not so tall as some of the other steeples in Fredericton and it's not in a high-profile location.

I took a number of pictures of the bell tower on its own and I think it's quite lovely (see the small photograph below) but I ended up liking this close-up shot, of the stone cross above one entrance with the bell tower in the background, the best.

I was lucky with the day, one of the few sunny days we've had of late, because the direct sunlight brings out the details in both structures and the beautiful blue sky provides a wonderful background for the image.

I was careful in arranging the composition to include both the cross and the tower (which resulted, of course, in the need to stop the Olympus down to f8 to increase the depth of focus) but, when I was taking the photo, I didn't realise just how much the tile pattern of the roof itself would add to the picture.

I'm not much of a church person normally but it is clear after almost five months of this blog that I find them quite photogenic. I guess that should be no surprise, since societies have often invested a great deal in their places of worship.

I'm going to try to move away from them for a while, however. With summer here, bringing more opportunity and inclination to get out of the house in the evening and on weekends, I should be able to feature more of the sights of Fredericton and its environs.

No comments:

Post a Comment