Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 137 - Ought to Focus

I have mentioned before that I am often frustrated by the Olympus' auto-focus function. It is the nature of auto-focus, I guess, to identify the object closest to the camera that falls within a certain area at the centre of the lens and then focus on it.

This can be very frustrating when you are attempting to take a photograph of anything in the distance when there is "interference" in the foreground (like branches, curtains or even rain drops on a window).

As frustrating as it can be, however, it can also sometimes give you very interesting results. In this shot, I was aiming for a picture of the buildings on the campus of St. Thomas University, situated below the window through which I was taking the photo. The camera, however, found the rain drops on the window itself and that's what I got: a series of little watery magnifying glasses that invert the scene beyond them but bring it into sharp focus.

If you could enlarge this photo sufficiently, you'd see the buildings magnified in each individual drop but upside down. It's really kind of neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment