Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 245 - Fun with fog

Fog represents a great opportunity for the photograph. It adds mystery and texture to a shot, making an average landscape special.

We've had fog most mornings this week but, unfortunately, I'm usually out and on my way to work just after the sun starts to eradicate the stuff, so it's too late for the really great fog photos. That's not to say I'm unhappy with this shot of King's College Road, looking east from York Street in Fredericton. I'm actually quite fond of it. But you can see that the fog in this picture is not pea-soup thick and, in fact, is at this point in the morning receding fast.

Still, I'm happy with the dark intensity of the trees on the left, the foggy figures in the distance and the crispness of the lines on the road. I think it's a nice photo, not an iconic fog picture but not bad nonetheless.

The lower photograph is more of a standard fog shot, this time with the sun serving as the central focal point. I don't think this photograph is as successful as the top one but it's interesting nonetheless. I played with the shutter speed to adjust the amount of light getting in to create the proper contrast between the dark trees and building (the new Fredericton YMCA, by the way) and the bright sky. I wanted the sun (through the fog) to be a crisply shaped ball in the sky and I think I've come up with a decent picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment