Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 255 - That takes the cake

An exercise in focus and perspective, this shot of a piece of cake at a recent celebration at my place of work is one tasty photograph.

Once again, I tried to work with the available light and the depth of focus to create interest in this close up of a piece of cake on a paper plate with a plastic fork. I'm surprised with the result, which I think gives a vivid depiction of the piece in the foreground but also a feeling for just how many pieces there were arranged on this table.

To my surprise, similar shots taken with the flash were not as interesting: with both focus and light in its favour, the central chunk of cake was too dominant. The other slices, which were both out of focus and much darker, lost all importance in the shot.

1 comment: