Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Day 313 - The face of the willow

At Princess Point, at the edge of the water near where we said our last goodbye to our mother, stand two enormous willow trees. My sister tells me that these trees have such extensive root systems that they can only be grown in wilderness areas near great bodies of water like this. If you try to grow them in town, their roots infiltrate sewer systems and destroy the foundations of buildings.

But they are beautiful trees and their broad trunks teem with character. I had originally planned to post a photograph of the entire tree, with its wide, fantastic branch system sweeping the sky and its massive trunk anchoring it to earth. But then I saw this shot, just the trunk itself, with the face of the tree so clear in the detail of its bark. I would have liked to have been able to lighten the shot a bit (it was taken, not surprisingly, under shady conditions) but I don't have access to my usual iPhoto program right now.

So we do with dark but detailed. And we notice that someone has seen the face of the willow too and has added, quietly and without any fanfare, their own painted face at the very foot of the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment