Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 331 - Angle, reflection and distortion

As anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis can tell you, I'm a sucker for a good reflection. But I think this photograph has even more going for it than simply a nice mirroring in the windows of the Barracks in downtown Fredericton: because of the sharp upward angle at which I was shooting, the lines in this photo also feature a neat distorting effect.

I've become much more aware of the existence and impact of lines (both straight and curved) on the way we see things and this shot is a good example of it. The window appears to be at an angle and, in fact, seems to be tilted slightly upward toward the sky. It isn't, of course: it's on the flat vertical plane of the wall. But it looks that way because I was standing so close to the building when I took the picture.

If that isn't enough, I also like the colours in the stone that come through in this picture. There's red, orange and yellow in there, bringing even more life to the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment