Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 315 - A bit of shameless promotion

A bit of unabashed promotion in today's photographic blog. Not only are these quite nice pictures (as far as snapshot kinds of photos go) but they are also directly related to the novel I'm writing. In fact, I took these photographs of Hamilton's old court house building (now the continuing education centre for McMaster University, top) and it's new court house building (bottom) so that I could more accurately represent them in my book. But then I saw them on my little netbook computer and thought: "Hey, they're quite nice". So here they are for you to enjoy even as you wonder, "What novel?".
The two buildings face each other on opposite sides of Main Street in downtown Hamilton. I think they're both interesting buildings in their own right and worthy of a photograph or two. But their close proximity to each other (and to other large buildings nearby) makes it difficult to get a full image of either using even a wide-angle lens. In situations like that, the photographer's task is to decide what angle to use and what part would best represent the whole in a picture. And then, of course, there is the issue of light. On a sunny day like this one, with the sun actually behind the old court house, shining directly on the new court house, you have to be careful to compensate appropriately for it. I think I did okay in that department, though the windows on the bottom photo are a little bit overexposed and the top photo could use to be adjusted a bit. Oh, iPhoto, where are you when I need you?

No comments:

Post a Comment