Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 182 - A sign of the times

Is there a single sign in this picture that isn't bruised or dented or bent in some way?

I have a great deal of respect for photographers who capture urban subjects (and often unsavoury urban subjects) in artistic, often beautiful ways. I am certainly not claiming that I'm among them but it is a photographic approach that I enjoy attempting to perfect.

In this case, an assemblage of signs on a single post on Queen Street in downtown Fredericton provides an interesting collage of shapes and colours and imperfections. I like the crowded feel, the fact that the pole itself is a bit tilted and the mixed messages you get when you read all the different signs. It's not art, I grant you, but I think it is an interesting look at the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment