Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 188 - Creating beauty with an old ketchup can

This photograph makes me think of folk art. I took it, almost as an afterthought, at the end of a long, hot walk through downtown Fredericton today and I'm glad I did.

I'm pleased with the composition of the image, with the yellow can central and almost bleached white. I took several shots to get things right and chose this one because, first, I made a good decision to ignore the light metre in the camera and close the aperture right down, which makes the colours deeper and the entire image a little more balanced, and, second, I like the plastic chair in the background, which was either fuzzy or not really visible in the other pictures.

I wonder if people know how interesting their back porches are to a wandering photographer like me. I mean, they probably just thought to themselves, "What the heck am I going to put this plant in? Hey, here's this old ketchup can, cool," never realising that they're creating beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment