Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 199 - White bobbles and roasted tomatoes

I had to play with the focus to get this photograph of roasted tomatoes on a white platter. The Olympus' autofocus function wanted to find the nearest object (the white porcelain bobbles that rim the platter) so I had to force it to see the tomatoes, hold the focus there, and then move into position for the perspective of the picture.

Then, of course, there was the challenge of adjusting the exposure to get enough light on the subject. Instead of slowing the shutter, however, I opened the aperture to enhance the light, thus also creating the very short depth of field, which limits the focus to just the closest of the tomatoes.

It seems such a simple shot but it was devilishly difficult to take. I'm very pleased with it, though, since I think it is actually quite stunning in beauty and fairly fascinating in composition. Can you guess what provided the patterned background?

No comments:

Post a Comment