Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 189 - Black and white with a splash of blue

The contrast between subject and sky is so steep this photograph almost seems to have been taken in black and white.

I bracketed the shot to see what level of light would look the best. With the aperture as small as possible (f8) to enhance depth of focus, I played with the shutter speed to vary the amount of light that came through the lens. I wanted to have the choice between lighting the chair and deck properly and bleaching out the sky or lighting the clouds nicely and blacking out the objects in the foreground.

Guess which I chose.

I'm actually very pleased with this photograph. I like the dark shapes and the fact that you can see the lovely clouds around and through them. I'm even pleased that there are splashes of blue sky to the bottom and left of the frame, just to ensure you're not fooled into thinking it's a B&W shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment