Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 209 - Nothin' stacks like a Deere

I'm willing to accept that it's not great art. I'm willing to accept that it's not even great photography. But this picture, for me, speaks of New Brunswick.

Just about everybody has a lawn around here. A big lawn. And, with all the rain we get, that lawn keeps growing all summer long, as opposed to Southern Ontario where, by mid-July, the grass has dried out and stopped growing. So, when you live in Fredericton, you need power in your mower.

We started here with an environmentally friendly, we-all-need-a-little-exercise reel push mower. We had good intentions. But our lawn proved the better of us. After several months of four-hour grass-mowings (I'm serious, four hours each week and often more. It would take me several days to recover), my brother and sister-in-law saw our great need and, as a thank you, bought us an electric mower.

A nice one. Plenty of power. Wide carriage. Nice. The lawn, however, got the better of it. After I had left it too long over a couple of weeks last summer, the electric mower actually caught on fire as it tried to power its way through the long grass.

So now we have a super-powered gas mower. We're environmentally unfriendly, smog-producing New Brunswickans at last! But at least we don't have one of these John Deere ride-em mowers. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment