Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 205 - The intimacy of the details

When I look at this photograph, I see the many different lines that run through it. Straight lines, rounded lines, black lines, white lines, green lines, so many lines.

I took another photograph of these flowers from a little further back, a shot that showed the entire fan-shaped trellis upon which these lovely yellow flowers are being encouraged to grow. I thought it would be the better shot but something about the added distance, the wider angle, made that shot less interesting and effective.

This closer-in view seems to me to be more intimate. It reduces the number of elements in the frame while increasing how much detail we can see in each element. It also helps to accentuate the purity of the colours in the shot: the white of the background, the green of the leaves and vines, the yellow and black of the flowers themselves and the reddy-brown of the cedar mulch on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment