Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 192 - Church spire with clouds

My sister has told me on several occasions that she's tired of "musty old churches" on this blog. So I offer her this: a new twist on a musty old church, where I use its sky-reaching spire as an ornament in a cloud photograph.

Since I do most of my photography during the middle of the day, I rarely get the chance to take shots like this, where the setting sun is illuminating the cotton-ball clouds high in the sky, colouring them in all sorts of soft tones.

And the spire of this cathedral just to the east of Fredericton's downtown provides a nice complement to the clouds, its dark shape serving as a dramatic contrast to the brightness of the sky.

The trick was to overexpose the image to make sure the details and colours of the clouds show up while allowing the musty old church to fade into almost two-dimensional darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment