Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 187 - A lonely sentry on a blistering day

Believe it or not, this photograph was taken today. It's a combination of elements from previous pictures that I stumbled upon during my lunch hour.

First, there's the wonderful fountain on the plaza in front of the Fredericton City Hall on Queen Street. I like the little dude, wrestling a fish, at the top of the fountain and I like the soothing sound of the water. Then there's the city hall itself, with its brick walls and stone steps. Of course, the photo has to include one of the neat street lamps as well.

The surprise is the red-coated figure standing stock-still below the street lamp: one of the soldiers from the changing-of-the-guard ceremony we went to the other day with our friends.

I'll say one thing: with temperatures pushing 30 degrees with an additional bonus for humidity, the young person must be broiling in that outfit.

I faced a challenge with this shot, photographically, because I wanted both depth of focus (and, therefore, a narrow aperture) as well as a fast shutter, to freeze the drops of water in mid-air. Unfortunately, even with the sun beating down, there wasn't enough light to do both. I ended up sacrificing speed for focus and ended up with a pretty nice shot.

1 comment: