Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 196 - Woodlots, lily pads and faint-hearted dogs

The University of New Brunswick owns a plot of land at the southern end of Fredericton that is known as "The Woodlot". I believe it was originally obtained for the use of the University's forestry program but, as that program has dwindled of late, so has the need for the Woodlot. So UNB has been selling it off, piece by piece, for development.

It's a controversial topic around here, mainly because the Woodlot is a wildlife preserve, providing a home for a variety of species of animals, birds and plants. Many locals also enjoy the vast wooded property for recreational purposes (dog walking and skiing, for example), which makes its destruction even more of a cause for concern.

The Woodlot currently features quite a lovely pond just off the main trail, complete with a small boardwalk and some wonderful views. I took Marlee for a long walk in the Woodlot today and stopped long enough to take some shots of the amazing lily pads and their flowers. Not much to say from a technique standpoint: I just pointed the Olympus in the right direction and pressed the button.

I love the reflections in the water.

The lower photograph captures Marlee, peering out at me from a safe position at the foot of the boardwalk. Our dog, you see, doesn't like walking on things that move so the motion of the boardwalk bothered her. She wouldn't come out to join me but just sat near the shore, gazing at me with a forlorn expression, and whimpering gently. THAT was the true challenge I faced in trying to take this lovely photograph of the plant life in the pond: dealing with the complaints of my four-year-old Golden Doodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment