Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 198 - The fragile complexity of a stalk of grass

Like most of the country, New Brunswick is currently in the midst of a hot spell. Temperatures in the 30s plus humidity. But, unlike Ontario (where I come from), New Brunswick usually has something of a breeze to take the edge off the heat. In fact, the same wind I curse during the frigid winters I love in the dog days of summer.

I took Marlee for a walk this afternoon at the Potato Research Farm this afternoon to enjoy the unique combination of blistering heat and cool breeze. What we found, however, was breathtaking: massive fields of four-foot-high grasses (hay?) literally glowing in the sun and rippling in the breeze. I know they must get this kind of thing all the time on the prairies but I've never seen it before. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

This photograph fails entirely to catch the marvel of this phenomena. But it is interesting, nonetheless. I love the fragile complexity of each stalk of grass, the shimmering vitality of the field, the overwhelming serenity of the waves of stalks. I was tempted to crop off the hydro towers in the distance but Patti convinced me to leave them in. They give perspective and add solidity to the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment