Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 274 - On cannons and condos

I worked very hard to get this photograph right. I just wish I had the technical ability to airbrush that telephone pole out of the way.

Although I doubt that anyone living in that condo building across the river is at all afraid (or even aware, probably), it really looks like this cannon is aimed directly at their homes. The big gun is located on Officers Square, a part of the historic Garrison District in downtown Fredericton, and once provided the young town with much from all kinds of foes, including the French, the Americans and even the Aboriginal peoples who were forced from their lands to make way for European settlement.

I doubt this cannon ever had the power to fire a projectile all the way across the river (which is really very wide in this area) but I may be wrong. I don't think the condo dwellers have anything to worry about, at least. And it's amazing what a really narrow aperture will do for your depth of focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment