Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 275 - The contrast of banners and stencils

You've seen those banners before. The ones in the background, framed by the arch of the metal sign. I posted a photograph of them months ago when they first went up. This time, I've tried to use the bright sunshine to create an interesting effect: shooting the banners from a distance, through the stencil archway-sign so that the foreground is dark and the banners and their brick buildings are bright and clear.

I'm quite pleased with the result. I think this is a well-composed, nicely lit photo with plenty of visual interest. I have to laugh, however, at the single wire that runs across the top of the image: that's classic Fredericton. A beautiful view marred by wires, poles or construction. It happens every time.

For the record, that's the New Brunswick College of Art and Design with the banners. I took a number of exposures of this photo and ended up choosing the darkest. That always seems to be my preference: dark and rich photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment