Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 300 - Crowding the angles of the frame

Did you see that number? Day 300!!! Wow. That means I've made three hundred entries to this blog and posted more than 300 photos. Amazing. With only 65 more days to go, I now feel like I might just make it.

Today's photographs present an interesting example of how you can make a picture more interesting with a few basic camera techniques. I saw these two scooters, adorned with bright orange vests, on the sidewalk outside of Park's Noodle in downtown Fredericton. I like their shapes and their colours and thought they would make a neat picture.

So I took one, just kind of straight on. Just to see what that would look like. Well, as you can see from the lower photo, even if the scooters themselves are visually interesting, the plain old photograph of them isn't.
So I moved in a little closer, turned the camera on a weird angle, and came up with the upper photo.

A much neater picture, isn't it? In the straight-on pic, the scooters look like they're parked, almost asleep. In the angled shot, they're alive and seem to be coming right at you. They fill the frame and have a sense of movement, created I think by the way they crowd the edges of the image and the way their angles intersect with the angles of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment