Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 291 - Front entrance with a natural frame

Another view of the front entrance to Government House, on Woodstock Road in Fredericton.

In this case, I tried to use the natural surroundings in front of the building as a frame for the very nice front steps and door. I would have liked a little more colour in the leaves of the foreground trees but, even with their muted presentation, I think it makes for a lovely photograph.

The challenge in a shot like this is both lighting and focus: you want to close your aperture right down to get as deep a field of focus as possible but you have then to slow the shutter down to ensure that the trees and bushes don't come out too dark. For this picture, I actually waited for a thin cloud to diminish the sun's brightness somewhat, so that the light balance (front to back) wasn't too bad.

I think it worked out quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment