Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 282 - If you can't beat'em

Gibson Memorial United Church on, you guessed it, Gibson Street in Fredericton is one of several beautiful churches on the city's North Side.

It is also one of the hardest to photograph thanks to the many power and other lines that run in front of the building and the length of Gibson Street, all the way to Marysville. I tried very hard to find a way to get a picture of the church while eliminating (or at least minimising) the impact of these many thick wires. No chance. No matter where I stood, no matter what focal length I used, there were always wires.

The closest I got was one photo, taken at an extreme angle, that had no wires but still the heavy shadows of the wires running across the building. Of course, I could have waited until the sun moved or I could have gone back on a cloudy day but the angle was so severe that the building looked distorted. No longer beautiful. Just weird.

On the theory that "If you can't beat'em, join'em", I decided to try to find a way to make the wires contribute to the effect of the photo. Did I succeed? I think so. By focusing only on this single spire, with the wires dark and heavy from bottom to top, I think I've created an interesting composition that complements, rather than detracts from, the beauty of this detail of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment