Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 154 - The lip and the liquid

Back to the fountain at City Hall for this close-up shot of one of the tongue-shaped green chutes and the trickle of water that drips from it.

I think there is much to like about this photograph, even if the lack of light caused by the close-up nature of the shot forced me to slow the shutter down to 1/500th of a second. Instead of crystal clear and crisp drops of water, at that speed you get a more fluid (no pun intended) image of the moving liquid.

I like the rich colour of the chute, the shape and texture of the water and the dark trunk of the fountain below the lip of the chute.

For the purposes of this picture, I battled the auto-focus, which tends to find the object that is either closest to the lens or closest to the centre of the frame. Here, I wanted the lip of the chute to be in the upper third of the frame but in focus: so I had to put the lip in the centre of the shot, press the shutter release half-way down to focus on it, then move the camera to create the composition I want and release the shutter. I'm not sure if it worked perfectly: I worry the lip and the water might be a little bit out of focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment