Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 178 - Street Scene with Saxophone

I spent a lovely half hour on my lunch, sitting on a shaded bench on Queen Street, taking photos and listening to a saxophonist running through her paces.

There's something nice about the sound of a tenor sax and the way if carries through the street. When I took this photograph, I was trying less to capture the young woman and her sax and more a feeling of the street upon which she was playing.

I like the crowded feeling of the shot, with the line of cars, the sidewalk advertising, the red and white spinner for Canada Day and the briefly glimpsed hands and arms of the pedestrians passing by. The saxophonist is not so much the subject of the shot as an integral part of the entire scene and, if I could capture her music "on film", I would have done that too.

This photo was taken at full zoom, with a necessarily slow shutter speed and wide aperture, which results in focus being lost at some levels of the picture. Still, I'm pleased with the way it seems to capture the mood I was looking for. And I like the intense concentration on her face as she entertains the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment