Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 165 - Out of my depth (of focus)

Back to Scott's Nursery for this photograph of a massive display of herb plants. Taken under very low light conditions, this shot shows depth of focus in stark terms.

With very little light (natural or artificial) inside the greenhouse on a cloudy day, I slowed the shutter speed down as far as I could while still eliminating the shake of my hand from the shot (so 1/60th of a second). Even then, I was forced to open the Olympus' aperture up as wide as it would go (I think it was f3.2) to get enough light into the camera.

The wide aperture meant that my depth of focus was very short, as you can see from the photo. The first row is out of focus, the second and maybe the third are crisp, then the rest of the rows fading into the background are also out of focus. It's a neat effect but it's also interesting evidence of how the available light can impact the kind of photo you can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment