Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 153 - The accents and flourishes of City Hall

Sometimes, it's all about the framing and composition. In this photograph, I take Michael Freeman's advice seriously and zoom in close to capture the details of the clock tower and roof of the Fredericton City Hall.

I like this building a lot (I'm a fan of red brick, apparently) but I'm having trouble finding new ways of photographing it. It's the same problem I'm having with the United Church in downtown Freddie: I've taken so many pictures of it, I'm struggling to think of new ways to capture it.

One way Freeman suggests to keep photography fresh is to focus on details. Forget about getting the entire building; just try to capture a detail or two that represents its essence.

That's what I tried to do here. To me, the clock tower and the red brick are key to the identity of the building but it is the white wood accents and the cast iron flourishes that make it really remarkable.

Again, not a lot of technical wizardry to this shot. Just a small aperture for a deep focus and lots of light and shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment