Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 112 - For the Birds

A house finch and a chickadee share some time at our backyard feeder in this photograph from a sunny, warm Good Friday here in Fredericton.

I am rapidly falling in love with my tripod, which allowed me to get a series of wonderful shots of these birds at the feeder even as I sat chatting with a friend. I set up the tripod, bolted the Olympus in place, pointed it at the feeder and then set the manual settings to the perfect combination of shutter speed and aperture.

That allowed me simply to touch the shutter release each time a bird landed and began to eat. The tripod gave me stability and the manual settings ensured proper light and (I hope) crisp focus. My only worry is the amount I've had to blow this up: I cropped in close in iPhoto and I'm worried that the focus won't hold up as well when the photo is brought to full size on the web-page. Oh well. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment