Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 96 - Shadow Play

Morning light continues to amaze me. This photograph presented itself to me as I ate my breakfast cereal. The early morning sun cast this amazing shadow, of the trees in our yard and several items on our window sill, onto the wall in our kitchen.
I just loved the colour and quality of the light and the contrast between the shadows, sharp and fuzzy. I grabbed my mini-tripod and set the Olympus up on our kitchen counter to get the shot. The main battle was the conflict in light: the shadows were being created by soft sunlight but there was a great deal more general light coming in from the brightening sky outside. How do you get your camera's settings right to ignore the brighter light between its lens and the shadows?

I took a lot of shots to get a decent image of the shadows and this one still needed to crop an overexposed section at the bottom. Still, as my book says, sometimes you have to take the shot as best you can, knowing that you'll correct problems later on your computer.

The slow shutter speed required to get the shot, however, allowed a certain amount of fuzziness to creep in, especially in the shadows of the moving branches. Nothing I can do about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment