Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 119 - The Cathedral

Fredericton is home to a number of beautiful church buildings, most notably Wilmot United (of which I have posted a number of photographs in the past) and this one, Christ Church Cathedral, located east of the downtown core, near the St. John River.

I'm fortunate to have had a beautiful, sunny day for this shot and I'm quite pleased with it, even if it is a bit postcardish. I took the Olympus off automatic to get this one since the autoprogram tended to overcompensate for the sunlight and leave the church details too dark. I also closed the aperture right down to extend the depth of focus as far as I could: the foreground trees tend to draw the attention of the autofocus so that, without a strong depth of focus, the church would be blurry.

Speaking of trees, while I think Fredericton has an awful lot to offer in terms of beautiful, photogenic buildings and picturesque scenes, I do find myself frustrated by how often trees and, even worse, hydro wires tend to mar the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment