Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 32 - Pastel Evenings

I was under the weather on two counts today (it was bitterly cold outside and I am not feeling well) so I didn't get a chance to go photograph hunting. Instead of trying to find another indoor still-life, I decided to go back into my Fredericton 365 archives to find a good shot that I haven't already used.

I was very happy with this photograph when I first saw it on the camera but other shots seemed more immediately interesting. My first response to this one was that I felt it looked a little too much like a postcard. The more I look at it, however, the more I like it and see qualities in it that go beyond mere postcard prettiness.

For example, I love the pastel colours in the early evening sky, with the patterns of clouds complementing the gentle blues, purples and golds. I also like the way the darkened shapes of the graveyard and the city beyond still retain enough detail to catch the eye. I am pleased with the composition: the tall, full tree to the left, the spire in the centre and the sparser trees on the right. I think this photograph works in ways I didn't at first realise. And I'm happy to have a chance to share it with you.

1 comment: