Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 42 - A Bottle of Red

Drinks and then dinner at the Garrison District Ale House in downtown Fredericton provided a nice opportunity to play with the very slow shutter speeds on my Olympus camera.

I placed the camera on the table, its lens tilted slightly upward by placing it on its own lens cap, and set the aperture to as closed a setting (f8) as is possible, to cut down on the amount of light that would enter. I then slowed the shutter as much as I could without overexposing the image (10 seconds, I think) and pressed the shutter release.

The result is this warm, rich photograph where the wine glass and bottle in the foreground as well as the static elements in the background are all in crisp focus but the people themselves, who are moving, are fuzzy. I know, it looks a bit like an advertisement for Robert Mondavi but I am still very happy with it.

The long exposure makes sure the colours are rich and pure while the details stand out. I'm really enjoying this kind of photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment