Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 48 - Moon Over New Brunswick

A beautiful moon, in full bloom, hanging between the goal posts of the new all-purpose field in South Fredericton as evening sets in. What could be better?

I took several shots like this using the Olympus' automatic settings but I worried that the low-light conditions would force it to push its shutter speed so low that the photo wouldn't work. So I rubbed a flat spot on a snow bank, set the camera on manual, then closed the aperture as far as it would go (f8). That forced me to use a shutter speed of something like 1/8th of a second, no problem since the camera was sitting on a stable surface.

I snapped the shot. Then I checked it on the screen on the back of the camera and I'm glad I did. The internal light meter had fooled me into slowing the shutter speed too much. The first photo was actually over-exposed so that you couldn't see the detail nor the reddish colour on the moon. So I sped the shutter up one level (to 1/16th of a second) and tried again.

Thank goodness I checked. The second picture is so much better. The sky is a deeper blue and the moon is alive with colour and detail.

1 comment: