Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 35 - Light and Dark

One of the challenges of a project like this is dealing with the contingencies that arise throughout the year. Such as illness. I've not been feeling very well this week and so, on days like today when I'm completely wiped out, I have no energy to go out and take a fresh photograph.

My original plan was to post only photographs that were taken on the posting date. This would force me to be consistent and be creative. I've had to abandon that plan this week and, to be honest, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. It's allowed me to post good photos from my archive rather than mediocre pictures simply because the mediocre ones were all I took on a particular day.

Today, for example, I am posting a photograph I took on my walk home yesterday. Another sunshine photo. I like this picture almost as much as the one I posted yesterday so I'm happy to have reason to share it with you.

I like the contrast between light and dark in this picture, which, thanks to the strong sun, takes on an almost black-and-white quality. I like the way the sun makes the front of the building stand out so strongly against a dark background and I like the lines of the building itself.

These kind of flat-front houses are common in Fredericton and in the Maritimes as a whole. They hug the street and often offer brightly painted wood siding. In this case, however, the light is so bright I'm not really sure what colour the building is. Beige? Yellow? White?

No comments:

Post a Comment