Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 34 - Sunshine and Red Doors

We finally had some decent weather here in Fredericton: not too cold and brilliantly sunny. With that and the slowly expanding days (sunset doesn't take place until well after 5 p.m.), my walk home from work was pure joy.

I took full advantage by wandering along York Street with my camera in hand, snapping pictures of whatever took my fancy. Sunlight makes for interesting photographs, I think. Of course, with such a casual approach, you never know what you're going to end up with until you get home and download the pictures to the computer.

That's why I was thrilled to see this little gem flash onto my iMac's screen. I took the picture because the shadows on the two red doors caught my eye but, once I started looking at the shot on the screen, I saw so much more: the soft sunlight warming the lamps, the wonky house numbers, the tops of the doors; the subtle shadow, like a blanket, swaddling the scene; the ornate design of the wooden doodad between the doors; even the brightly coloured, hand-made sign in the one window and the drooping chain in the other.

So far, I think this is one of my favourites of the year. It's a point-and-shoot photo but the light and shadow, the same-but-different-doors, those crazy numbers all make it a winner to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment