Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 55 - Roll Up the Rim

I saw the best TV commercial for Tim Horton's annual contest, Roll Up the Rim To Win, today. I won't spoil it for you by describing it in detail but it caught me completely by surprise when I realised it was actually a Tim's ad. Great stuff.

And so, in honour of that ad and the contest itself, I offer these two photographs to document a strange Fredericton phenomenon: planting your Tim's cup in the snow once you're finished with it. I believe that you are supposed to place it with great care, sometimes flat in the snow, no coffee spilling, and sometimes at a jaunty angle, still free of spillage, as if you've put it there temporarily to cool the drink down a bit.

It's sort of a civilized form of littering.
On a single walk home from work, I saw at least six of these cups, displayed so neatly in snow banks. I can't figure it out. It wasn't until I had walked past four of them that I decided to start taking photographs of them. Not magical by any means, the photographs, but an interesting presentation of a social habit that seems to have caught on around here.

I, myself, am a bit of a sucker for the Roll Up the Rim contest, buying more Tim's coffee during the period of the contest than throughout the entire remainder of the year. And, of course, I never win. I think I've won a couple of coffees, a cookie or two, but never anything more substantial. Oh well, it's obviously great marketing for Tim's. As is that TV commercial I mentioned at the top of this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment