Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 59 - Striking a Balance

Another day brings another snow storm to Fredericton, this time a disgusting mixture of wet snow and rain that came to a climax just as I was heading home from work. This kind of weather certainly doesn't invite me to go out and take photographs!
That's why today's picture was taken indoors, inside the bus that took me home through the yuck. In this case, I tried to find a way to capture the balance between the warmth and comfort inside the coach and the wet nastiness of the outside world. I tried a whole pile of manual settings to get it just right and finally settled on this one: I wanted to keep the shutter speed at 1/60th of a second to avoid shake-induced blur but, with the low-light conditions, that forced me to open the aperture right up and lose some depth of focus. Even then, I was concerned that the images would be under-exposed.

No problem, actually. I quite like the drama of the lighting in this shot. The outside world, which might have been over-exposed had I adjusted for the dimness of the interior of the bus, comes across damp and dreary. The panel light in the bus gives the interior side of the shot a crispness that pleases me. All in all, I think it's a pretty cool photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment