Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 41 - Distant Spire

I like the idea of this photograph better than the actual picture. I thought the church spire in the background behind the houses took on a somewhat ghostly, spiritual look through the snowy air and hoped to catch that quality in the shot.

Unfortunately, the cloudy skies reduced the available light so much that the picture came out a bit flat, in my opinion. If the houses in the foreground were brighter and more colourful, I think the steeple in the background would appear less substantial, more ethereal. Too bad.

I'm not saying this is a bad picture. Far from it. But it's not as good a shot as I had hoped to get as I stood there in the snow, setting up the camera. I'm not sure there was any way I could have gotten what I really wanted: how do you make the foreground vibrant and bright while still allowing the snow to shroud the church spire in the background?

No comments:

Post a Comment