Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 40 - An Elven Wizard

Meet Etcetarian. He is my alter ego in the world of Dungeons and Dragons. He is an elven wizard and, today, in his first ever "Encounter", he personally vanquished all seven foes sent against our valiant party.

Etcetarian, the figure, was prepared for me by a colleague at work who is also a member of our party. I'm impressed with the detail on this tiny figure and I'm pleased I was able to capture that detail in this photograph. I tried a variety of camera settings for this shot but, perhaps not surprisingly, the best came when I used the automatic settings with the flash.

My goal with this shot was to use the two objects in the image (the figure and the character description sheet upon which he stands) to represent the incredible complexity of the game itself. That meant I wanted the figure in sharp focus and the sheet itself to move from focus to blur, which I think captures the current state of my own understanding of Dungeons and Dragons. After my first Encounter, some things are clear in my mind but many, many other things are still a complete mystery.

1 comment:

  1. I guess Quadragenarian wouldn't have been quite right for evoking courage, fortitude, strength, wisdom, etc., etc., etc. Like the dragon stick.

    ReplyDelete